Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Fun

I saw on my friend Kathryn's blog that she and her husband have made it a tradition to get their daughter a snow globe each year around Christmas. I thought that was such a fun thing, so I decided I wanted to do something similar. And thanks to an episode of Special Agent Oso, I decided to MAKE a snow globe with Hannah. 

We headed to Wal-Mart to get all the supplies:

Glitter
Jar
Figurine
(already had ribbon & hot glue)

We got home and Hannah put all the glitter in the globe.


LOTS of glitter.


Then we found a stick in daddy's garage to mix it all together.


Wes said it looked more like a blizzard than a snow storm. haha!  Next was gluing the ornament (figurine) onto the lid.  Hannah couldn't really help with any steps after the glitter - but she didn't mind. That was enough fun for her. 

I thought this ornament was very fitting since this will be our last year as a family of 3!


Then we put the lid on, turned it over and viola......water leaked EVERYWHERE.  Apparently buying the cheapest jar at wal-mart wasn't the best idea. So after lots of trial and error, taking it all apart and bringing daddy into the mix, we got the lid on with no leaks.  Only problem is that we didn't let the glue dry long enough and it mixed in with the water and now it looks like a fog globe.


So that's the semi-finished product. I didn't bother gluing the ribbon and everything back on (after having to take it off once) since you can't even really see what's inside.  

So even thought this year's globe with most likely end up in the trash, it was a GREAT idea and lots of family fun and we'll definitely do it again next year - with a better jar! 

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Fun fun fun! You are such a good mom :)

Strange family said...

We saw that Oso! I thought about making a snow globe with Will! I think he would LOVE it! We've got to look at "crimas" lights the last three nights and he LOVES it!

I love the last picture!