Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sweet Moments

When I was 3 months old I had spinal meningitis. After reading my mom's journal of my time in the hospital during that time, it's obvious that my parents didn't know what to expect from day to day.

While I was hospitalized, my dad gave me the teddy bear that Hannah is snuggling with in the above picture. This is such a special picture to me. Probably because I now fully understand what my parents were going through thinking that their baby girl may not make it.

Even though my motto is "if you haven't used something in 3 months, it's trash," this teddy bear is something I'll hang onto forever. Thanks, dad, for giving this to me almost 27 years ago!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some of our friends gave us this baby walking carrier this past fall. Wes is trying to get into shape for a ski trip he's going on in February, so I can't think of a better way to do it!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
- Helen Keller


3 comments:

Mandy from Burkett Blessings said...

Oh how special!!! I love sweet sentimental things like that. Isn't it amazing how many memories certain things like that bring back??? Priceless!!
~mandy

Christie said...

We didn't know Wes was going on a ski trip!

Christy said...

I learned something new about you today Shelly - I didn't know you had meningitis when you were a baby. I had it too, but I had bacterial and I was 18 months. I'm sure it was scary, scary for our parents.