Well, Monday at our house was day 1 of potty training. I reserved the entire week to just stay at home and work on it, with the hopes that we would say goodbye to diapers forever.
My method was to set a timer for every 20 minutes and have Hannah sit on the potty for 5 minutes. We got a timer, potty seat, m&m's for rewards, a special new cup so she would drink more and new Dora panties. I wrapped it up like a present and let her unwrap it first thing Monday morning. So with a little research, my sister on speed dial and lots of prayer, away we went....
Day 1:
We ate lots of salty snacks to make her extra thirsty and drank lots of fun drinks that she rarely ever gets. We were set up for complete success!
Throughout the day she had about 5-6 accidents (which made Dora on her panties really sad). FINALLY, right before bed time at around 8:30 she DID IT! Wes and I threw a huge party and I'm pretty sure she thought we were crazy.
Day 1 overall - FAILURE!
Day 2:
Right when Hannah woke up (at around 10:00 a.m.) I took her straight to the potty and SUCCESS! Due to a flushing incident the day before, Hannah was scared of the big potty, so we took out her little potty.
At one point in the day she sat on the potty for 50 minutes and I entertained her with all kinds of activities.
There was no success during the 50 minutes, but there was an accident 30 seconds after leaving the potty for almost an hour! Frustration! Luckily, about 45 minutes later we had more success.
After a 3.5 hour nap and waking up dry - more success!
After a 3.5 hour nap and waking up dry - more success!
Day 2 Overall - Making progress
Day 3:
By now, we were pretty tired of sitting in the bathroom for the majority of the day, so I moved the potty around the house. I've learned as a mom to "never say never." I started off not wanting her to sit on the potty forever, especially in front of the TV. I wanted her to be aware of what was going on, sit on the potty and take care of business. Well, she had some success by sitting on the potty with a show on, and she knew what she was doing, so I was OK with it.
Also, by day 3 the m&m treats weren't so special anymore, so Tuesday night I put together a "treat box." When she attempted the potty she still got m&m's, but if she actually had success she got to choose something from the treat box.
(yes, we are still in the same shirt from day 2 - ha!)
We also had our first really BIG success in the potty today - if you know what I mean. She had been holding it for a couple of days, but she did it in the potty! So thankful!
Day 3 overall - We might be getting the hang of this.
Day 4:
I decided today that I would try and hit "key" times for potty time. Instead of making Hannah sit on the potty each time a timer went off, I put her more on a potty schedule. When she woke up, mid morning, before nap, after nap, mid afternoon, after dinner and bedtime. I figured this little routine would prepare her for the outside world, where potties aren't available at any given moment - ha!
And this included putting on real clothes instead of running around in our panties or naked all day. ha! We still haven't fixed our hair, though. It's been days (for both of us)!
Hannah did GREAT with waiting until she was on the potty to go. We didn't have any accidents today. Yahooooo!!!!!
Day 4 Overall: Complete success!!!!!
Day 5:
I can't believe we are 5 days into this and Hannah is doing so great. This morning we had a little test. Marley came over all morning and I was anxious to see how Hannah would do when I had to take her away from playing to go potty.
Hannah did awesome while Marley was here. She had one little draw back right before nap time (no accident, just a little fear of the potty for a brief while), but she ended up having success before nap. She's also showing signs of the fact that she's waiting to potty when I put her on it. She's aware of having to go and is waiting until she's on the potty. SO EXCITING!!!
Day 5 Overall: WE GOT THIS!
Let me just tell you....I'm shocked at how quickly Hannah caught on to this. I'm certain that we aren't free from future accidents and they will most likely come while she's at the top of the slide at McDonalds or walking through Wal-Mart, but I do know that we aren't going back to diapers! Yahoooo....as exciting as this is, I told Wes Sunday night before we started that it was a bittersweet time for me. My little baby girl is growing up.
Another bonus to potty training this week is that we haven't left the house. Not once. I've fallen in love with this little girl all over again and I'm so proud to be her mommy. I've loved spending sooooo much time together in our pajamas.
Love you, Hannah Kate. Mommy and Daddy are so proud of our big girl!!
Day 3:
By now, we were pretty tired of sitting in the bathroom for the majority of the day, so I moved the potty around the house. I've learned as a mom to "never say never." I started off not wanting her to sit on the potty forever, especially in front of the TV. I wanted her to be aware of what was going on, sit on the potty and take care of business. Well, she had some success by sitting on the potty with a show on, and she knew what she was doing, so I was OK with it.
Also, by day 3 the m&m treats weren't so special anymore, so Tuesday night I put together a "treat box." When she attempted the potty she still got m&m's, but if she actually had success she got to choose something from the treat box.
(yes, we are still in the same shirt from day 2 - ha!)
We also had our first really BIG success in the potty today - if you know what I mean. She had been holding it for a couple of days, but she did it in the potty! So thankful!
Day 3 overall - We might be getting the hang of this.
Day 4:
I decided today that I would try and hit "key" times for potty time. Instead of making Hannah sit on the potty each time a timer went off, I put her more on a potty schedule. When she woke up, mid morning, before nap, after nap, mid afternoon, after dinner and bedtime. I figured this little routine would prepare her for the outside world, where potties aren't available at any given moment - ha!
And this included putting on real clothes instead of running around in our panties or naked all day. ha! We still haven't fixed our hair, though. It's been days (for both of us)!
Hannah did GREAT with waiting until she was on the potty to go. We didn't have any accidents today. Yahooooo!!!!!
Day 4 Overall: Complete success!!!!!
Day 5:
I can't believe we are 5 days into this and Hannah is doing so great. This morning we had a little test. Marley came over all morning and I was anxious to see how Hannah would do when I had to take her away from playing to go potty.
Hannah did awesome while Marley was here. She had one little draw back right before nap time (no accident, just a little fear of the potty for a brief while), but she ended up having success before nap. She's also showing signs of the fact that she's waiting to potty when I put her on it. She's aware of having to go and is waiting until she's on the potty. SO EXCITING!!!
Day 5 Overall: WE GOT THIS!
Let me just tell you....I'm shocked at how quickly Hannah caught on to this. I'm certain that we aren't free from future accidents and they will most likely come while she's at the top of the slide at McDonalds or walking through Wal-Mart, but I do know that we aren't going back to diapers! Yahoooo....as exciting as this is, I told Wes Sunday night before we started that it was a bittersweet time for me. My little baby girl is growing up.
Another bonus to potty training this week is that we haven't left the house. Not once. I've fallen in love with this little girl all over again and I'm so proud to be her mommy. I've loved spending sooooo much time together in our pajamas.
Love you, Hannah Kate. Mommy and Daddy are so proud of our big girl!!







4 comments:
Way to go Mom and Hannah!! Welcome to the potty trained club!! It's grand!
Awesome! Great job, Hannah (and Mommy!)! I'm super impressed that you already started. What did you do while nursing Ethan? That's been my big fear. We need to talk so you can give me some tips!
Awesome! And don't expect this early success from Ethan. Oh, the differences with boys ;)
That's awesome! What a big girl! I just did the 3 day potty training method with my daughter and she did great, but she refuses to poop on the potty {she's done it like 3 times so I know she gets it} she will go if she has no panties on but begs for me to put them on her so she can go :( I'm just trying to be consistent and be thankful that's she's doing so well with all the other parts!
Post a Comment