This trip has been a long time coming. Our team, the first all-girls team, committed to going in May and purchased our tickets. We had meetings to plan, organize and prepare to go, but nothing could have prepared my heart for what I would really experience. This trip was even more special to me because I got to share all my experiences with my sister, Christie.
As we got to the Uganda airport, we were welcomed by Pastor Emmy, the main guy behind Parental Care Ministries. If you have never heard this man's story, you should. He has a heart for poor and needy children and would go to almost any measure to make sure kids feel loved, protected and cared for. I got the privilege of spending hours with him talking about the ministry, life, and his hopes for the schools for the future. Pastor Emmy is a one of a kind man. If you know him, your life is definitely richer.
Driver Emmy, known as Emmy D, is just as amazing himself. Our team got to know him this trip and wow, what a blessing. This guy is incredible. Has a heart for Jesus and a love for people. Not to mention, he is absolutely hilarious and will keep you on your toes with his driving. He's an awesome driver, which is a blessing to have if you've ever driven the streets of Uganda. Let's just say, they don't have little white stripes in the road. The roads are a free for all!
As we got to Uganda the first thing we did was drive straight to the airport to pick up Catherine, Emmy D's sister. She has been in the hospital for over a month due to several different illnesses. It just so happens that Catherine is one of the children Wes and I have sponsored since the get-go. She has been in our family for over 4 years and we just love her. She's a precious gift from the Lord and has such a calm, sweet spirit. Meeting her for the first time was a sweet, emotional time. I hated to find her in a hospital bed, but was so joyful to know that the Lord had ordained our meeting for months prior. How many people get to care for the sick sponsored children that live halfway across the world? It was a very special time for me. One that I will never forget.
After leaving the hospital we took Catherine to Emmy D's home to rest and get comfortable. I got to meet all her family members, including her mother, and they were all so grateful for what the US is doing in their lives. They are such sweet people. I got to pray for them and thank the Lord for bringing us to them. It was a special time, once again. After leaving Catherine for the night we headed to the first PCM school in Mbarrara. I got to meet one of our other sponsored children there, Lamson.
Lamson is just as sweet and tender as he looks. He's a precious boy that loves the Lord and loves his sponsors. He loved being near me and wanted to hear stories about our family. What a "coincidence" that he wants to be an engineer, just like what Wes does. When I told Lamson what Wes did for a living, he quickly wrote a note to Wes telling him that he was so happy that he wanted to be the same thing as him. I know with the help of PCM that Lamson will fulfill his dream. I'm so happy we get to watch him accomplish that.
At this same school I also got to reunite with our sponsored child, Julie.
Julie has been to the US and I got to meet her on the choir tour. This girl is something special. She is the daughter to Pastor Emmy and Supermom, and with two parents like that, you can't help but be a blessing to others just like them. She is an outgoing thing. She just loves to talk and laugh. It was a blessing to watch her learn and play with her friends. She loves people and loves her sponsors, too. She calls me mom and it melts my heart.
The day after meeting all my precious kids, we headed to another school in Katyazo. I met a boy there named Matthew. I fell in love with this kid. He had so many questions about the US and was so smart and kind. He was a typical high school boy with jokes and messing with his friends. I just love him and the best news....he's coming to the US in April with the choir tour number 2!!
We also got to go on an African Safari while we were there. It was so incredible to see elephants, baboons, zebras, hippos and monkeys all within 100 yards. It was just so cool that you could just drive down the street and see an elephant on the side of the road. A really neat experience.
The coolest thing about the entire trip was just seeing how the people of Uganda care for each other and worship. Everyone looks out for each other. There is no jealousy, gossip or envy. They all have what they have and share whatever they have with one another. Even the smallest ones know how to worship and thank our God.
I left this trip with a new perspective. In one of Pastor Emmy's sermons at church he said "If you have 2 dresses, or 2 coats, you have something to give." Think about that. Many of us have over 10 dresses and more than 3 coats, yet we hold on to them. There are so many people in Uganda that really only have 2 dresses and they still manage to give. Many of us make thousands of dollars a month, but keep it all for ourselves. These people make $125 a month and still you see them helping one another. What a blessing this trip has been. Half my heart was left in Africa and I assure you, I'll be back to see my Ugandan family as soon as the Lord allows.









1 comments:
Amazing!
Post a Comment